What was wrong with my cat!?

by Kimberly
(Ontario)

QUESTION:

My fiancé and I had a cat. He was only 10 months old. One day, after bathing him, he started vomiting a white foamy liquid. Then, later, I discovered a gel like substance coming out of his rear. The next day, my fiance found him passed away in the middle of our living room floor. I really am curious as to what might have caused this. Please help!

ANSWER:

Dear Kimberly,

Let me start by saying that I am very sorry for your loss. Losing a beloved feline is always difficult, but especially so when they are so young and it happens so suddenly. You have my deepest condolences.

There are many possible causes for your young cat’s sudden passing, including a medical condition such as feline hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a heart condition seen most commonly in male cats.

Also, you did not indicate what type of bathing solution you were using on your kitten. If it was a flea bath product, it is also possible that your kitten passed away from a toxic flea bath. The chemicals in some flea bath solutions, dips, and collars, especially those that can be purchased off the shelves at a pet store, can cause severe dehydration, seizures, and even death in some cats.

There are many other possible toxins around most homes that can be deadly to cats if they get into them. Many human medications, many plants, cleaning solutions, antifreeze, rat poison, and lots of other substances can cause death in a cat. When we have cats, we have to "babyproof" our homes just as if we had human babies.

His death may have also been caused by some combination of factors, including stress on a possibly diseased heart.

Unfortunately, though, it is impossible to say what the cause of your kitten’s death was without a necropsy (autopsy). I know that it is difficult to lose a pet and not know why, especially such a young one. I hope you feel better soon, even without knowing for certain what caused your kitty’s sudden passing.
 

Return to Cat Poisoning.

Share